HOME Media Kit Advertising Contact Us About Us


Web The Truth

Community Calendar

Dear Ryan


Online Issues

Send a Letter to the Editor



Social Security Questions and Answers:


What should I do if an employee gives me a Social Security number but cannot produce the card?


Seeing the card is not as important as putting the correct information on the worker's Form W-2. You can verify employee Social Security numbers by using the Social Security Number Verification Service. Just go to www.socialsecurity.gov/bso. This online service allows registered employers to verify employee Social Security numbers against Social Security records for wage reporting purposes.


I received a notice from Social Security recently. It said my name and Social Security number do not match Social Securityís records. What should I do?


Itís critical that your name and Social Security number, as shown on your Social Security card, match your employerís payroll records and your W-2 form. If they donít, here is what you need to do:

  • Give your employer the correct information exactly as shown on your Social Security card or your corrected card; or
  • Contact your local Social Security office (www.socialsecurity.gov/locator) or call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) if your Social Security card does not show your correct name or Social Security number.

For more information, visit our website at www.socialsecurity.gov.


How do I report a lost Social Security card?


You do not have to report a lost Social Security card. In fact, reporting a lost or stolen card to Social Security will not prevent misuse of your Social Security number. You should let us know if someone is using your number to work (call 1-800-772-1213; TTY 1-800-325-0778).

If you think someone is using your number, there are several other actions you should take:

         Contact the Federal Trade Commission online at www.ftc.gov/bcdp/edu/microsites/idtheft or call 1-877-ID-THEFT (1-877-438-4338);

         File an online complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.ic3.gov;

         Contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit by calling 1-800-908-4490, Monday Ė Friday, 8 a.m. Ė 8 p.m.; and

         Monitor your credit report.


Will my son be eligible to receive benefits on his retired fatherís record while going to college?


No. At one time, Social Security did pay benefits to eligible college students. But the law changed in 1981. We now pay benefits only to students taking courses at grade 12 or below. Normally, benefits stop when children reach age 18 unless they are disabled. However, if children are still full-time students at a secondary (or elementary) school at age 18, benefits generally can continue until they graduate or until two months after they reach age 19, whichever is first.



When a person who has worked and paid Social Security taxes dies, are benefits payable on that personís record?


Social Security survivors benefits can be paid to:

            A widow or widower ó unreduced benefits at full retirement age, or reduced benefits as early as age 60;

            A disabled widow or widower ó as early as age 50;

            A widow or widower at any age if he or she takes care of the deceased's child who is under age 16 or disabled, and receiving Social Security benefits;

            Unmarried children under 18, or up to age 19 if they are attending high school full time. Under certain circumstances, benefits can be paid to stepchildren, grandchildren or adopted children;

            Children at any age who were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled; and

            Dependent parents age 62 or older.

Even if you are divorced, you still may qualify for survivors benefits. For more information, go to www.socialsecurity.gov.



Is it true I must now receive my benefits through direct deposit?


Anyone applying for benefits on or after May 1, 2011, will be required to receive their payments electronically. Paper checks will no longer be an option for most people. If you donít have a bank account, you can get your benefits through the Direct Express debit MasterCard. Switching from checks to electronic payments is fast, easy, and free at www.godirect.org. You also can call the U.S. Treasury Processing Centerís toll-free helpline at 1-800-333-1795 or speak with a bank or credit union representative or contact Social Security for help.



Copyright © 2017 by [The Sojourner's Truth]. All rights reserved.
Revised: 04/20/17 19:44:57 -0700.

More Articles....

Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur and Toledo Library Present Open Book with Timothy Snyder

Ashford Hosts Fundraiser at Our Brothers Place

Lourdes Premieres 2017 Summer Science Camps

Summer Camp Inclusion Fair to Offer Children with Disabilities an Integrated Experience

Checklist: 5 Camping Essentials for a Safe and Enjoyable Adventure


Improv Troupe to Appear at 20 North Gallery



Back to Home Page




Copyright © The Sojourner's Truth. All Rights Reserved.